Saturday, June 20, 2020

Getting Back to my April 2020 Project - Quick Combat

I got back to my April Project of Quick Combat System (gdoc link) Inspired by The Fantasy Trip, meshed with D&D. As always many of what I do is in a Gdoc/Gsheet so people can easily grab anything they might want to reuse or repurpose. 

The reason I got back to this is that I need to ween my son off the Laptop. No classmates or peer group, no activities after class except roblox and youtube (Minecraft proving too addicting). The cycle of that would make this addicting cannot be helped because there is no other socialization and the games are fun. There is a lag in real life, a delay before satisfaction or gratification that happens that makes us able to think and instead of pure reaction and reflex. I'm sure he can "de-program" the conditioning after a Vaccine arrived and is administered but that technical debt will be worse if I don't try to lower it NOW. 

TRPGamer Dad trying to figure out ways to make TRPGs that are too slow and boring for his son work. Am I the same kid who had 2 younger brothers and figured out to have Imagination games in the long idle times of my busy parents and having to go to school >20km away growing up? Why can't I figure my own son out? (I'm sure every dad ask himself). 

Now I've incorporated Alternative Cepheus Engine (ACE) Elements - just the Skills and planning to Incorporate 1 Term of in the Creation and Just a Simple 2d6 (11 outputs) of Events. The goal is that I need to set things up that I and my Son can just roll up characters and play. 

https://anydice.com/program/1c476
Random Stat. 
roll 7d6 keep 6.

1d6

Stat

Description

1

9

Poor

2

10

Average

3

11


4

12

Good

5

13


6

14

Remarkable

Random Race

1d8

Race

Description

1-2

Human

Versatile Fighterts

3-4

Orc

Savage and Reckless

5-6

Goblin

Nimble and Evasive

7

Dwarf

Resilient and Reliable

8

Elf

Keen and Cunning

Random Background

1d10

Background

Description

1-2

Raider

Scavengers, Thugs, Bandits, Deserters, 

3-5

Auxiliary

Militia, Levy, Conscripts, 

6-7

Mercenary

Professional soldier of unsteady employment

8-9

Legionnaire

Professional Soldiers of a Kingdom or Empire

10

Guardsmen

Warriors of powerful patrons

Random Class

1d12

Class

Description

1-2

Skirmishers

Mobile fighters.

3-4

Shocktroopers

Chargers, The Hammer

5-6

Heavy Infantry

Defenders, the Anvil

7-8

Scout

Reconnaissance, Intelligence

9

Archer

Artillery

10-11

Killer

Creatures whose purpose is ending lives.

12

Bodyguard

Trained to protect and defend.


To Do
  1. Moving to Alternative Cepheus Engine for Skills and Structure complicated the past work I did, but simplified the Logic of Character creation for me. 
    1. I need to rework the Skills of Races, Backgrounds, and Classes BUT I dont need to convert the previous system which I forgot my logic for it. It's faster if I work from scratch following the 3 Backgrounds + 6 Career Skills.
    2. What's changed is that there ar Features/Traits/Abilities in Races, Backgrounds and Classes. 
      1. Auxiliaries being good at improvising weapons, Raiders being able to "salvage" one item (except armor) from their kills, Guardsman having Patron and Law Enforcement privileges. 
      2. So I want the Races to have the skills of their Upbringing of ages up to 18ish. 
      3. Balancing Out Humans only After the Classes are all written. 
  2. Finish all the Equipment based on Background using my Loadout Generator (using Checkboxes it Creates a String list of the Equipment). I'll keep a Note of the Social Status Score basis. 
    1. I made a Social Status Formula on my GITB ACE. I'll try to keep to it roughly. Assets being about x5 monthly Income in Silvers. 
    2. Be able to Print out the Lists of Equipment and maybe a Handy Reference image for my son to see I can scrounge online. 
  3. Character Events (which I'll call "Training" for this). I'm using the Soldier Events (200611 Soldier Creation) in my ACE as a writing prompt or framework for these combat classes. 
    1. Follows the Term Process - 200607 Scout Creation
    2. No Qualification, No Life Events, No Injury, Just Survival (called Training) and Aging. Where the character just levels up by 2 a number of Skills equal to their Margin of Success. 
    3. They roll their Lowest Stat Modifier against DC 7, Failure is they couldn't finish their training.  
  4.  Clean up the :200413 Quick Combat - Weapons and Armor, 200425 GITB Quick Combat - Combat Mechanics, 200419 GITB Quick Combat - Combat Mechanics, 200419 GITB Quick Combat - Test Characters, 200424 GITB Quick Combat - Basics and Characters . By Clean up, 
    1. Put Place Markers (like TBD) for stuff that is Pushed or Deprioritized. Define what needs to be Rescheduled. 

No comments: