Being able to GM Historical settings and eras of history is one of the more challenging and fulfilling types of games for me. File this under Tools, which also includes valuable gamer resources.
Professor Kenneth Harl's he Great Courses Series. I wish he could do an audio tour of Turkey, and then I'd really want to go to Turkey.
- GURPS Hot Spots: Constantinople
- Crusader Kings 2 the Justinian DLC
- using this as a Source and NPC Generator.
- Basically I would use the Maps from CK2 and the general system to keep track of Relationships and Organizations.
- Kenneth Harl's The World of Byzantium, I got this in Audible in their seasonable 7usd sales for such. The Barbarian Empires of the Steppes is also a relatable course.